Sign up to Safety
Listening to patients, carers and staff, learning from what they say when things go wrong and take action to improve patients' safety.
Sign up to Safety is an NHS England campaign designed to help realise the ambition of making the NHS the safest healthcare system in the world by creating a system devoted to continuous learning and improvement. This ambition is bigger than any individual or organisation and achieving it requires us all to unite behind this common purpose. We need to give patients confidence that we are doing all we can to ensure that the care they receive will be safe and effective at all times.
Sign up to Safety aims to deliver harm free care for every patient, every time, everywhere. It champions openness and honesty and supports everyone to improve the safety of patients.
Sign up to Safety map
Sign up to Safety's 3 year objective is to reduce avoidable harm by 50% and save 6,000 lives.
Discover more about the organisations involved by selecting a group using the drop down fliters and clicking on the individual map pins. Map courtesy of NHS Improving Quality.
Map Key :
- Green - Acute Trusts
- Blue - Mental Health Trusts
- Red - Health and Care Trusts
- Yellow - Social Care Provider
- Purple - Clinical Commissioning Group
- Orange - Other
The five Sign up to Safety pledges
Organisations and individuals who sign up to the campaign commit to setting out actions they will undertake in response to the following five pledges
- Put safety first. Commit to reduce avoidable harm in the NHS by half and make public the goals and plans developed locally.
- Continually learn. Make their organisations more resilient to risks, by acting on the feedback from patients and by constantly measuring and monitoring how safe their services are.
- Honesty. Be transparent with people about their progress to tackle patient safety issues and support staff to be candid with patients and their families if something goes wrong.
- Collaborate. Take a leading role in supporting local collaborative learning, so that improvements are made across all of the local services that patients use.
- Support. Help people understand why things go wrong and how to put them right. Give staff the time and support to improve and celebrate the progress.
Find out more about Sign up to Safety on the NHS England website.
Join KSS PSC
Everybody with an interest in patient safety can join KSS PSC, whether you are a patient, carer, healthcare or social services staff, student, educator, researcher or work in industry, patient safety is everybody's responsibility!
Your level of involvement in entirely up to you - you can choose to stay up to date on our work by joining our mailing list or you can take a more active role in one of our clinical workstreams. All you need to do is get in touch with us: